Wes Craven's Deadly Blessing is another one of those movies I thought I may have seen before, but also thought, maybe it was just that I remembered the poster, which, to be fair, is pretty memorable:
If I had seen it, I remembered nothing about it, including that fact that a young Sharon Stone has a supporting role, and is maybe the woman on the poster? But with darker hair than she has in the movie?
There are a few things I liked about this movie. I liked that it has so many female characters, including the three leads, Maren Jensen (probably best known for the original Battlestar Galactica series); Susan Buckner (who only made three movies, but did a lot of TV); and the aforementioned Sharon Stone (in only her second movie role).
I liked the weird, made up religious sect led by Ernest Borgnine, the "Hittites," who "make the Amish look like swingers," and how the movie sets them up as the bad guys, but also maybe they're victims too? But also maybe they have a point with all the warnings they keep passing out?
The movie is essentially a slasher, but with possible supernatural overtones, and again, keeps you guessing about what's really going on. But that leads me to what I did not like. The ending just goes off the rails, with two ridiculous revelations, one of which is pretty offensive, and the other that essentially negates the entire movie that preceded it and doesn't make a lot of sense.
This is a Wes Craven movie, so it does have some good scares, looks great, and features some actors and scenarios that he loved to use over and over in multiple movies. It's that ending though. So dumb.
Deadly Blessing is available to rent online, and is streaming free on Hoopla, although the print was pretty bad. So I watched a Blu-ray copy from my library instead.

No comments:
Post a Comment