Sunday, June 01, 2008

I Couldn't Help But Wonder...



How many Marina girls would wake up in a pool of vomit, followed by a walk of shame, come Saturday morning?

Yes, I went and saw the "Sex and the City" movie on opening night with a girlfriend. And yes, we both wore cute shoes. But neither of us were nearly as decked out as the hundreds, and I do mean hundreds, of women who were in that theater or waiting in line that night. (Click the above for an example of what it sounded like waiting for the movie to begin.) It was a literal invasion of Marina girls, and it was a little disconcerting.

It was also pretty much exactly what I was expecting, and it was a spectacle worth every bit of my $10.50. Here's an actual conversation overheard from the women sitting in front of us:

Brunette: OMIGOD! We just almost got beat up by some biker chick!

Blonde: She was totally like wearing a helmet!

Brunette: And she told us to fuck off!

Blonde: She did! She said "FUCK OFF!"...But you know why she said that. Because you're cute, and she totally wasn't cute.

Brunette: Yeah. She wasn't cute at all.

You can't make this shit up.

Clearly, "Sex and the City" is to heterosexual women what most "Star Wars" movies were to nerdy boys. I haven't been to a movie with a crowd that pumped up in I don't know how long. The "Indiana Jones" opening didn't come close. Imagine an entire sold-out audience dressed up like Indiana Jones, and you might have some idea what it was like in that theater Friday night. And you could count the number of straight guys there on one hand. Of course, one of those straight guys had to shout out something stupid during the movie, and it wasn't clever in the least; I think two hours of watching women in designer shoes started to make him question his sexuality, so he had an almost Tourette's like reaction to the experience.

As for the movie itself, well...I don't want to give away spoilers, so I think I will save my thoughts on it--and I do have many--until my monthly round-up...

No comments: