Sunday, May 31, 2009

April Round-Up - 2009

Did you know the year is, like, almost half over? Were you aware of this? How is that even possible?

Let's get on with this, before it turns out it's December.

Movies Seen: Thirteen, with two in a theater. One of the theater viewings was a screening of the HBO movie "Grey Gardens," my review of which can be read here. The other was "Ferlinghetti," and you can read my review of that one here.

On the DVD front, I was very pleased by "Doubt." It was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. I was less pleased with "The Spirit," which was a real mess, and even messier was "Seven Pounds." I could tell you what that movie is about, but you probably wouldn't believe me if I did. Just know that it is perhaps the most ridiculous movie to ever feature a poisonous jelly fish in a supporting role.

Books Read: Three. Kind of. Only one, "Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World," was an honest to goodness book. And yeah, go ahead and laugh, I read a book about a cat that lives in a library. And it's about what you'd expect from a book about a cat that lives in a library, but I still liked it a lot.

"Maps and Legends," by Michael Chabon, was actually a collection of essays and speeches, mainly about writing, and books, and genres, but it was a fast and interesting read, and it included the best take on the "His Dark Materials" books that I've read yet.

Lastly was Alan Moore's "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. I," and I hate to admit it, but...I thought it was BOR-ING. There. I said it.

Fancy Dinners Out: I may be forgetting one, but according to my calendar, I had no fancy dinners out in April. How is that possible?

Live Shows Seen: Also, none.

Shoes Bought: And again, NONE! Man. I hope May is more exciting.

No comments: