Friday, July 21, 2006

Freaky Friday

My cat was acting FREAKY this morning. I mean, more freaky than usual. Most mornings, she sleeps through my alarm and doesn't get up until I've made breakfast and am in the living room. But today she woke up about an hour before the alarm and just started meowing at me. This annoying meowing tends to happen when her food dish is empty, she's puked on the bed, or I've turned the front of her litterbox towards the wall (that only happened once, OK?) But none of that was going on this morning. So I got up and did my usual morning prep, and she continued to act...weird. And very skittish.

I don't know what's going on, but hasn't the weather been kind of...unusual lately?

When I was a kid I was totally terrified of earthquakes (let's face it, I still am) and my friends had a tendency to take advantage of that fear to try and scare me (I had mean friends). One day we were walking to a friend's house after school and they started to talk about how there was going to be an earthquake and they knew this because of the weather and because they saw some animals acting weirdly. Then they told me to take a look at an ant trail on the sidewalk. "See?" one of them said. "Those ants aren't walking in a straight line. They're walking CRAZY."

Of course now I realize that ant trails aren't always orderly, but back then I was convinced the big one was coming. I'm a lot saner now. I wouldn't take my cat's crazy morning antics to mean certain doom.

But I'm stocking up on bottled water, just in case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ranow you've activated my nert-trained brain and i'll be looking at my surroundings with 'earthquake eyes' until my own cats start getting back into their normal routines. fun fact: the ants in new zealand are in no way orderly. they run around crazy chicken-little style and about 2X as fast as their american ant bretheren and sisteren.