Friday, November 03, 2006

Jericho Is Ridiculous

The only thing I can think of accounting for the success of "Jericho" is it must be playing big in the heartland. It's set there, and seems to offer glimpses of those good old-fashioned family values we're always told exist there (and only there). You know, like having the whole town gather together to help the local farmer harvest his corn before it rots. Because if he doesn't harvest his corn, then he won't have a crop to sell...to...uh. Who exactly? They're cut off from the rest of the country because of a SERIES OF NUCLEAR BLASTS.

And this week, the whole town is carving pumpkins, decorating their houses, and dressing their kids up for Halloween. What the hell? Is this supposed to be some illustration of the amazing perseverance of the American spirit? Because to me it just illustrates America's amazing ability to stick its head in the ground and not acknowledge that the world is falling apart around them.

I'm sure you're asking why I keep watching. And I don't really know. Most of the time it's just kind of on in the background as I'm working. And when I start with a show, I have an annoying habit of seeing it to its bitter end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I gave up on the show when the Mayor said, after his town folk had become a little unruly, "Don't break my heart again, people."