Friday, January 05, 2007

You Know What Would Be Great Right Now?

I'm not sure why I didn't write about this show when it was on, but for whatever reason, I always seemed to forget about "The Minor Accomplishments of Jackie Woodman" until an episode would turn up on my TiVo. Then I'd watch it, enjoy it, and forget about it again. For the unfamiliar, it ran on IFC last year and starred Laura Kightlinger as a struggling Hollywood screenwriter who's bitter and cynical. The comedy was pretty satirical and often downright absurd, as you will soon see.

I think one of the other reasons I didn't bother writing about it was...well...Laura Kightlinger's face kind of freaks me out. She didn't always look quite so scary, and I don't know if it's plastic surgery gone wrong, or some kind of drug reaction, or what, but it kind of made me uncomfortable to look at her. Which is totally shallow, I know. (Unless it did happened as a result of her getting Botox and plastic surgery, in which case I, and everyone else, should feel free to mock her.)

One of my favorite episodes had Jackie accepting an arts grant from a Native American group, and her having to pretend she was going to use the money to film a documentary about a tribe. She and her friend Tara end up on a reservation tripping on peyote. Thanks to my new DVD recorder, I am now able to share this little bit of comedy gold with you fine people. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this clip pre or post creepy face? dont know enough about miss kightlinger to know the diff, but i am curious about her.

Rain said...

the clip is post creepy face. It's kind of hard to get the full effect via YouTube, though.

She's been a comedian and writer for years, and I've always thought she was hilarious. She also went out with Jack Black for a long, long time. I don't know if he left her to marry his childhood sweetheart, or if they'd broken up before that happened, but perhaps that was the catalyst for the face work...

Toby O'B said...

I liked this series a lot, one of the better "cringe-worthy" comedies that have come along in the last few years.

In my little "Toobits" awards a week ago, I chose Sally Kellerman's performance in the first episode as the best for someone appearing as themselves.

But the peyote episode was my favorite. You just can't beat a tortoise with the voice of Mary Kay Place!

Jess Hutch said...

Yeah... she's hilarious... but her face doesn't appear to move much anymore. It's kind of strange.

JD said...

She's had Botox, but I'm not seeing the plastic surgery. Even when she was young she had very pronounced cheekbones and full lips. I think that's just the way her face aged.