Saturday, October 29, 2022

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 29: Barbarian (2022)

I had planned to post about a different movie today, but I watched Barbarian the other night, and was so impressed by it, I just had to feature it instead.

Barbarian was released at the end of August to almost unanimously positive reviews, and I came close to seeing it in a theater, mainly because I wanted to be able to see it before finding out too much about it. I never got around to seeing it, but luckily, I did avoid major spoilers, and it's now available to stream just over a month later.

And the movie really does benefit from not knowing too much. It begins with a mix up with an Airbnb rental on a dark and stormy night, and two strangers needing to share the house. And that's all you really need to know, as I do think one big joy of the movie is how unpredictable it is, and how all the pieces and themes fit together perfectly by the end. (Don't worry that the trailer below gives away too much; it's kind of masterfully oblique.)

Barbarian is one of the best horror movies of the year, and is currently streaming on HBO Max (and is still playing in some theaters).

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Whew. I saw the GIF and was worried you didn’t like it. The trailer made me terrified to see this one, but I went and saw it anyway and made it all the way through like a big boy.

Rain said...

I liked it so much I think I'm going to watch it again!