Wednesday, October 02, 2024

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 2: Sacred Blood (2015)

As I said in yesterday's post, I will watch anything filmed in San Francisco, no matter how terrible, and Sacred Blood is pretty terrible. Directed by Christopher Coppola (Francis Ford Coppola's nephew, and Nicolas Cage's brother) the cast includes Michael Madsen, Bai Ling, Nicolas Cage doppleganger Bailey Coppola (Christopher's son), and Kato Kaelin (?!). Anna Baini stars as a Russian circus performer who becomes a vampire and haunts the streets of San Francisco, and when it comes to scenes shot on those streets, the movie does deliver, with locations that include Edindburgh Castle, the Condor Club, the Lipo Lounge, and various Chinatown alleys.

I will give it this: there's always some fun to be had watching a vengeful lady vampire tear apart some misogynistic city scum, and Michael Madsen is at his Michael Madsen-iest as a flask-drinking detective. Also, there is a vampiric poodle, so, the movie is not without some rewards! But while it's not the WORST San Francisco-set horror movie I've ever seen, I think it will only prove rewarding to San Francisco cinema completists like me.

I watched Sacred Blood on Pluto TV, but it is available to stream free, with commercials, on several platforms.

No comments: