Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Saving Ryan's Privates

Two ABC affiliates in Iowa won't be running the previously scheduled uncut airing of Saving Private Ryan on Veteran's Day for fear of fines from the FCC.

OK. Why is Iowa the only affiliate afraid of fines? I think it has something to do with having to start the movie at 7:00pm, or "family time," but I think ABC would cover any FCC fines.

Of course, if the FCC is going to impose fines on anything, I would agree that 30 minutes of uncut graphic violence is much more disturbing and potentially traumatic than a flash of nip. But because I don't see them as being anywhere near rational, I don't think any fines will imposed at all.

And I also have to add that I hate "Saving Private Ryan." I don't think any anti-war film should be crafted so that at the end you are cheering for the demise of the enemy. One of my favorite reviews of the movie gets the point across much better than I ever could. Read it. Now!


1 comment:

Rain said...

Looks like more stations aren't going to run Saving Private Ryan tonight, even though the FCC didn't have a problem with it the last time it aired. Could they really come back and impose fines NOW? That just seems like all kinds of wrong.