Sunday, October 15, 2006

Saturday In New England

Well, not really, but part of it had a New England flavor.

First off, I took in some high school volleyball at a tournament my 14-year-old cousin was playing in. I don't really understand volleyball, although it doesn't seem like the most complicated of games, but my cousin did--score? spike? make?--a point, so that was awesome, and her team (go Salesian!) ended up in first place in their division. Sweet!

After that I went to see "The Departed" with the parents; I liked it a lot. Didn't love it as much as I have loved past Scorsese pictures, but liked it a hell of a lot. Listening to all those Boston accents had me craving a nice lobster roll. Not that I've ever actually had a lobster roll, but reading about my friend Chrissa's lobster roll experiences in the past few months has had me wishing I could fly to the east coast for lunch. Luckily, the Woodhouse Fish Company, a "New England-style" fish place, opened up at Church and Market a few months back, and lobster rolls are one of their offerings.

Like I said, I've never actually had a lobster roll, so I have nothing to compare this to. All I can say is I thought it was awesome. It was way expensive (but lobster on this coast always is), especially since I ordered the "mega roll": 6 oz. for 21 bucks. Yikes! But there was plenty of lobster in the roll, just the right amount of mayo, a few shavings of green onion, and it was served on tasty, toasted, buttery bread. (Not a hot dog bun, and not French bread, but something in between.) It was scrumptious. I want another. RIGHT NOW!

But now it's Sunday, and I am procrastinating on all the laundry, homework, and work work I have to do. Sounds like a good time to take a nap.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey...since that fisdh co. is right around the corner from the pad, we should go sometime. i'm dying to try a lobster roll!

Rain said...

Anytime! I am hooked!

Chrissa said...

I heard about that place opening. Yay, I'm glad you had one! (And glad you liked it!) And yes, they are "wicked" expensive, even out here, but damn, I will pay any amount of money when faced with the prospect of a lobster roll. Plus, I actually made one for myself last week (lobster was on sale at the local market), and it really made me appreciate the labor (and psychic pain) that goes into cooking, shelling, and preparing your own deep-sea beast.

Rain said...

I have yet to actually cook my own live lobster. I remain a hypocrite who hates the idea of cooking a live animal, but loves to eat the results. Years ago, frozen lobsters were offered at the local market. They came packed in a bag that you would just boil to reheat. I'm sure it didn't taste as good as fresh lobster, but it did the trick, and omitted the psychic pain portion of the meal. I can't find those anywhere anymore, though...

Anonymous said...

oh, and here's a woodhouse-to-tv tie in [from the sfgate review of woodhouse]: "[the owner] He comes from an industrious family. His father, Jamis, runs the eccentric Buck's of Woodside on the Peninsula. And his younger brother, Tyler, just won this season's "Amazing Race" reality show competition."

small world!

Chrissa said...

I still haven't fully made my peace with cooking my own lobster. I thought if I made myself do it once (now twice) I would get over it, but I still find it quite disturbing.