Thursday, February 15, 2007

Finally, a Plot Development I Can Get Behind

Talking "Lost" here. Spoiler-phobes beware.

First: Charlie's going to die?

YAAAAAAY!!!!

If they actually come through on that promise, I may be able to forgive a lot of the show's missteps this season.

Also, who's giving out haircuts on the island, and when did Claire decide to get herself some bangs?

There were a lot of movie references in Desmond's...flashback? Lifeflash? I caught the "Out of Sight" necktie throwdown, and a bit of "Somewhere in Time" with his going to see the professor. Other sites have pointed out some allusions to "The Wizard of Oz" (red shoes and the crushing thereof) and "Frequency" (a sporting event being used to prove time travel). Any others? And any ideas why?

3 comments:

Bill said...

Apparently the Out of Sight tie was lost on most everyone, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who spotted it. One of my favorite movies, too.

Rain said...

One of my fave movies too, definitely. I don't really get why the reference was in there, though. The others are kind of obvious and make some sense (add to the list the throwing away of the wedding ring, and a shot right out of "The Lord of the Rings,") but why "Out of Sight"? Is it because of that movie's non-linear storytelling, and "Lost"'s flashback structure?

Anonymous said...

Is it really a reference? Or did they just like it, so they stole it? It felt more like a rip off to me. Or a reference that means, "Hey, I like Out of Sight. Remember when George Clooney threw his tie down? That was awesome."

Maybe it means something though. I'm never sure. Like when Desmond pointed up and said, "He said I wasn't worthy, and so I came down here..." it felt like he was getting biblical on us. Is Desmond Jesus? Or Lucifer? Oh man. I hope it's Lucifer.

I liked this episode a lot, except the nagging feeling that they're just ripping off Final Destination with the whole "you can't cheat death," thing. It's the exact same premise. I mean, C'MON!