Thursday, February 01, 2007

Sad Mac

I finally ventured to the Apple store to talk to one of the "geniuses" at the Genius Bar, and I'm not sure it was really worth my time. She basically pressed start on my iBook, put her head down onto the keyboard, and said, "Yeah, the disc is failing." As Chuck pointed out, she came off as more of Mac Whisperer than any kind of genius.

Of course, I'm the genius who had the thing for two years, and never really took the time to back any of it up. Including the one document that contains all of my Musty TV movie write-ups from the last 10 years. I have some saved copies of that document, but I think the most recent I saved is about a year old, at best. It would have been so easy to just email myself a copy of that doc every week, but I didn't. Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

I'd also like to get all my pictures, and my address book. The rest I can say good-bye to without many tears. Luckily my iPod has all my music, so none of that was lost....

I've tried many suggestions for accessing the failing hard drive and trying to transfer files one by one, but so far nothing's worked. Miss Genius gave me some names of places that do data recovery, but she told me she didn't think anything like that would cost less than 600 bucks (!) and doubted it would even work.

All I can say is, do not suffer my fate. People. BACK YOUR SHIT UP!

No comments: