Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ass Whole Foods

I haven't been to Whole Foods in almost a year even though there's one within blocks of my apartment. For some reason, the fact that it is on the other side of Van Ness, and up a slight hill makes it feel like it's miles away. It's too far to lug groceries home from, and so close that renting a Zipcar to go there just seems silly. So I thought that was the reason I never seem to go there. Turns out that's not it. It's the assholes that shop there that will forever keep me away.

The whole store seemed to be teeming with people who just don't understand the concept of a grocery store. They were all in their own little Bluetooth-eared bubbles, or barely watching their kids run around the fruit bins, totally oblivious to those around them. Why not wait until you're outside of the store, and not standing in the middle of its doorway, before you decide to examine your receipt? How hard is it to notice that the short aisle you are about to walk down is packed with two carts and two other people and therefore difficult to maneuver through? Why not CHOOSE ANOTHER AISLE? How about watching where you're walking so that you don't ram your cart into the legs of the person in front of you? And how about not leaving your cart in the middle of the narrow but main aisle of the store just so you can go stare at some cheese?

What the hell? It's never that bad in Safeway. Is it the combination of the relatively small size of the store paired with people thinking that since they're are going to be spending so much money they can act as jerky as they please? I just don't get it. It was rampant in every aisle in the place.

And don't even get me started on the check-out people.

2 comments:

Chrissa said...

It's true, it's so bad, at that particular Whole Foods especially. I used to trek over there sometimes before the SoMa one went in, and I think its location must hit a sweet spot of entitled oblivious asswholeishness. Though I think that staring-at-cheese problem is an aspect of Whole Foods worldwide ;)

Rain said...

It really is awful, isn't it? The worst thing is, it's the only place I've been able to find this particular cereal I really like, which they have in those bulk bins. I forgot to mention the guy next to me who was getting nuts or something, and didn't seem to get that the bin (tube, whatever) was empty, and just keep angrily banging the release bar over and over. Did he think it was going to magically refill itself or something?