Thursday, September 06, 2007

What Goes Around Comes Around

I've been kind of obsessed with Justin Timberlake this past week or so. Not so much with him--I don't find him all that attractive or sexy, although he is consistently hilarious on "Saturday Night Live"--but with his music. I found myself listening to a select few of his songs ("My Love," "Cry Me a River," "Chop Me Up," and "What Goes Around...") over and over again. (And I mean over and over. Thank god for headphones.) It might have something to do with a recent run-in I had with a creep; hearing Timberlake sing lyrics like, "If I wrote you a symphony/Just to say how much you mean to me," just seemed like the perfect antithesis to an idiot sending me a picture of his dick. (True story. And no, it wasn't in a box. But should I ever run into the guy, it might very well end up in one.)

Strangely, the topic of Timberlake has also recently appeared on a number of blogs I read regularly, with links to articles that basically bash him. I guess it's because of his HBO concert special, which aired over the weekend, (and which I didn't get to see, dammit.) All I can say is, whatever, people. I'm not going to make any apologies for liking JT. I'm not someone who listens to a ton of pop and R&B, but I do appreciate a catchy pop song, and I think he's got some really great pop songs. There shouldn't be a need to apologize for liking 'em. (Particularly vexing are music snobs who can rave until the end of time about the musical merits of The Archies or The Monkees, but turn up their noses when it comes to the likes of Britney or Beyonce. Puh-lease.)

But I will put a little analysis into why I think the song "My Love" is great: It's because there's a sample repeated throughout the chorus that sounds a lot like someone is strangling a muppet. Or tickling one. For no apparent reason.

Which is awesome.

Here's the video. You have to get through a rather long intro before you get to the muppet strangling but I, for one, think it's worth the wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He reminds me of certain very specific tennessee guys, like i can picture him working at the house mountain market with a cheekful of chaw and a spitcup. As such, I also dont get the appeal that makes the hollywood ladies swoon, but he *was* the best thing about that snakemoan movie imho, perhaps *because* of this certain tennessee look of his?