Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Ho My Goodness! I Said 'Sex!' I Meant to Say 'SIX!'

From my early teens to my mid-20s, I used to listen to the Alex Bennett show in San Francisco every morning. I can't remember why his show disappeared, but I'm sure it had something to do with Howard Stern. (Doesn't it always?) The appeal of the Alex Bennett show was never Alex Bennett. He wasn't very funny himself, but he always had really good comedians on his show. (It was on his show that I first heard Bobby Slayton, Dana Gould, and Patton Oswalt.)

Apparently he's in New York now, and doing a show for Sirius satellite radio (and I think his former newswoman, Lori Thompson, is doing some kind of Christian music show, which is hard to believe!)

On his site he's got some RealAudio from his show, recorded in 1997. (Click on the Live 105 link in the middle, found here.) The beginning is pretty lame, but pretty soon Kevin Meaney shows up, and it gets out of control. I laughed and laughed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Alex Bennet show memories Rain, I also laughed so hard that I almost forgot where I was for a minute. My co-workers were wondering "what's up with her"? The two Kevins were just so damn funny... I didn't miss the show until I heard it again today, too bad it's not here anymore.
Tree

san said...

OMG, I remember listening to that Alex Bennett / Kevin Meaney bit live on the air. THANK YOU for the link to the gems from the past.