Thursday, August 23, 2007

CAAAAAAHMCAAAAAST!

God, I hate Comcast cable. I am seriously considering switching to DirectTV because I am sick of dealing with Comcast's bullshit. But I am also extremely lazy and unmotivated, so I probably won't.

The thing is this morning I woke up to find the TiVo telling me that a channel line-up change had occurred. Some new channel called "Seth" was added, and Oxygen was dropped.

Oxygen dropped? Oh, HELL no.

So I went to TiVo's channel selection screen, and sure enough, 165 was no longer there. And for some reason, channel 204, which is the DIY network, was now unselected. And indeed, when I went to channel 204, all I got was a blank screen.

What. The. Hell.

So I called Comcast to find out what was going on. I was then told that Oxygen has never been offered by Comcast--even though I have been getting the channel for over a year now. Also, DIY isn't offered as channel with the digital package I get. Once again, even though I have been watching that channel for over a year. When I told the customer service lady that TiVo had been recording these channels for me for a long time, she told me that for some reason some people with TiVo can sometimes get channels that Comcast doesn't even offer. (Yet another reason to love TiVo.)

This doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Comcast doesn't carry the Oxygen channel, and yet I was able to get it through their cable system. So, obviously, it is possible to get that channel, they just don't LET anybody get it. There wasn't a lot of stuff on that channel I watched, but I was enjoying "Tori and Dean: Inn Love," so I am pissed that I can't see it anymore.

I definitely wanted to keep getting DIY, and some other channels that I apparently can't get (but was getting) with the cable package I had, so I had to upgrade to another package for three more dollars a month. Fine. They're already raping me, so why not throw three more bucks at them? I also learned that if I wanted to upgrade to the package higher up, and get HBO, I would have to pay FORTY MORE DOLLARS A MONTH.

That? Is pure insanity. Why is Comcast able to monopolize cable television like this? There is only one other cable company in San Francisoc, called RCN (now Astound), but they don't provide service in my neighborhood. Which is Nob Hill. So I can totally see why they wouldn't want to provide service to the deadbeats around here.

1 comment:

Lugosi said...

I absolutely despise Comcast. They took over our cable system (used to be Adelphia) last winter and immediately dropped HDNet and HDNet Movies. And yet they have the freakin' audacity to brag about how many HD channels they offer?!?!

Then a couple of days ago they revamped their entire channel lineup. Of course, that meant that I now had to reprogram every single show I record on my DVR to reflect the channel numbers.

I would have switched to Direct TV a long time ago except I live on the north side of an apartment building.