Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Love You Beasties, Oh Yes I Do

I saw the Beastie Boys this weekend at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. It was a pretty great show. I had originally wanted to go to their all-instrumental concert the night before, but I couldn't get tickets (and indeed, I have no idea how anyone got tickets; they never seemed to actually go on sale), but I'm glad I saw the show I saw. It was fun to scream along with the audience during "No Sleep Till Brooklyn." Here's the best video I could find--it's the best because the audio is pretty good, although they bleep out the swear words for some fucking reason.



I think I've seen the Beastie Boys almost every time they've come to the Bay Area. The first time was during their "License to Ill" tour at the Stone on Broadway, while I was still in high school. I also saw them during a Lollaplooza tour. And for their "Hello Nasty" tour, which was a concert in the round, and was awesome. And then a few years ago at the Bill Graham auditorium. And I think I'm forgetting one or two shows in there.

I might be stretching the analogy here, but I kind of think of the Beastie Boys as my Beatles. When they started out, they were just a few years older than me, so they were basically kids doing silly hip-hop songs, and then they got older and went to India (well, Tibet) and gained enlightenment, but still made popular records. Yeah, not really an apt comparison, but there's just something about getting into a band that's about the same age as you, and watching them grow up alongside you. Like, you both kind of realize at the same time that having giant penises as stage props is actually not that great an idea. Although I don't think the Beatles ever had to face that in their career.

No comments: