Saturday, October 17, 2020

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 17: Slither

Before James Gunn's was the master of the Guardians of the Galaxy films, he made his directorial debut with the 2006 horror comedy Slither, a movie that tries to do lot, and a lot of it is pretty disgusting. It's an alien invasion, creature, body horror, and zombie movie all rolled into one.

The cast is pretty stellar: Henry the serial killer himself, Michael Rooker is the first victim of the slithering aliens, and his wife is played by Elizabeth Banks. Nathan Fillion is the police chief, and "Hey it's that guy!" Gregg Henry is the town mayor. Much of it is funny. A lot of it is gross. And yet...I didn't like it as much as I assumed I would.

Can't really figure out why! It's in the same realm as Lake Placid and Tremors, two movies I enjoyed a lot more, so maybe I just didn't find is as funny as those? Those two films are also narrower in scope, concentrating on their creatures, so maybe Slither doing too much is its ultimate downfall.

Still, I'll give it this much: the boss monster at the end is a...memorable creation.

  Slither is available to rent on various streaming platforms.

No comments: