Friday, August 06, 2004

Never Get Out of the Boat

Open Water opens today. I have a general dislike of movies shot on cheap video, preferring to wait and watch them on DVD since they look so crappy projected on the big screen. But I think I'm going to have to go to the theater for this one. My hate for cheap-shot-on-video movies seems to be matched by my love for cheap-shot-on-video horror movies, like The Blair Witch Project.(I'm not going to get into an argument about whether or not that was scary. All I know is I slept with the light on the night after I saw it, and a friend spent the night with me because she didn't want to be alone in her apartment. Obviously, it worked for us.)

I'm thinking this one aims to make you anxious more than scare you. Especially if you have any fear of sharks. And getting lost. And getting lost in an ocean full of sharks. And the coolest thing about the movie? It uses no special effects, all the sharks in the movie are real, and the people in the movie are really there with those sharks. No CG. How refreshing is that?

No comments: