Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Beaver's Monkey

I've got "monkey" as one of my TiVo Wishlists because I am indifferent to monkeys. No, it's of course because I love monkeys. As a result, yesterday TiVo recorded an episode of Leave it to Beaver in which the Beaver gets a monkey as a pet. God bless TiVo.

In actuality the monkey he gets is a little more frightening than funny, but what is even more frightening is how nonchalant Ward seems to be about the Beaver getting a 20 pound monkey as a pet. Was this a 1950s fad I didn't know about? Along with those baby alligators that were then flushed down the toilet and later grew up to be man eaters that lived in the sewers, were people getting monkeys as pets for their kids? If so, the 1950s was an even radder decade than I had previously thought.

3 comments:

Rain said...

OK. Now I'm going to have to add "beaver" and "alligator" to my TiVo wishlists. Ideally I'll catch that episode as well as some Discovery programs about beavers battling alligators. (Perhaps not as exciting as "Croc vs. Shark," but it'd be a good fight!)

Rain said...

Also, I must note that at the end of "Beaver's Monkey" after Sydney (for that was the monkey's name) has been sent to live at the zoo, Beaver is talking to Wally about how he's going to visit Sydney all the time, and Wally insists that the Beaver will get older, and get a job, and eventually get married and he's "not gonna find a wife who's gonna want to spend all of her weekends looking at a monkey."

Oh...if only he knew.

That little exchange is, of course, my new answeing machine message. Call and enjoy!

Rain said...

OK. I promise this will be my last post on the matter, but here are some interesting facts about that alligator episode.