Friday, October 28, 2005

"How is it that this is the third 'I Love the '80s' and we're only now talking about Tweaky?"

Yeah. I got sucked into the latest "I Love the 80s," this time in 3-D! Which, by the way, doesn't work. Ever wonder why there aren't more 3-D shows on TV? That's because 3-D doesn't WORK on TV. But you can continue to stare at the show while wearing stupid glasses and pretend it's cool all you want, because I'm putting MY stupid glasses away.

Anyhoo, on the 1980 episode, they talked about "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" and I realized I have no memory of ever watching the show...When I was a kid I had a very snobby attitude towards anything called "science fiction," because in my mind everything was just a lame rip-off of "Star Wars." So I didn't watch "Buck Rogers" or "Battlestar Galactica" or go to see any sci-movies that weren't "Star Wars" related. But seeing clips of the incredibly cheesy "Buck Rogers" kind of makes me wish I had. Luckily, the Sci-Fi Channel airs re-runs, so I've set the TiVo accordingly.

But something tells me watching an entire hour long episode, not to mention episode after episode, isn't going to be nearly as entertaining as watching a minute of clips on a lame "I Love the 80s" show...

3 comments:

Rain said...

KINDA gay? Whoa!

And I can't believe I spelled "Twikki" wrong.

Stephanie said...

I admit I totally watched Buck Rogers. But even back then I realized I was getting a heavy dose of cheese.

And those pictures were...hmmm..stunning? Gold pants? I'm a little bit sorry I looked at those...Yikes!

- Thanks for pointing out my mistake about the knitted zombies! I fixed it on my blog. :)

Jeff H. said...

I was watching an episode of Buck Rogers with my folks once (I don't remember much about the story, except that Buck and a sunburned friend where stranded on some kinda desert planet and fighting for their lives) and my mom remarked "you can see his bald spot...right there!" Poor, poor Gil Gerard.

I recognized all that late 70s space opera stuff as opportunistic Star Wars rip offs, but watched it all anyway. Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, Galactica 1980, Battle Beyond the Stars, The Black Hole, Jason of Star Command, Space Academy, StarCrash, War of the Robots, etc. I had a lot of the toys, as well.