Friday, October 21, 2005

It Made Me Cranky, Too

But it made me cranky years ago, dude. This article talks about how in one "Sex and the City" episode, the name of "John F. Kennedy Jr." was removed and replaced with "Leonardo DiCaprio" after Kennedy's tragic death. It made me cranky too, but mainly because replacing the name kind of killed the joke in the context of the show. (Kennedy is seen as a glowing specter of New York society that helps Samantha regain her status after being shunned by the New York elite, which I can kind of buy. Leo? Not so much.)

The thing is, that happened many years ago when that season was released on DVD. They're re-releasing the entire series as a box set now, and that version of the show is the one in the box set. Yeah? So? Why wasn't he squawking about it back then?

Plus, the omission of this one little reference isn't nearly as egregious as some of these DVD TV show releases that can't manage to get the rights to the music used in the original airings and instead replace the tracks with awful, generic crap. Yeah. I'm looking at YOU "Wiseguy" and "Crime Story"!!!

Which leads me to another thing. A few weeks ago I re-watched the film "Over the Edge." It's finally been released on DVD and I was as pleased as punch. The juvenile delinquent movie came out in 1979 and its soundtrack is an awesome mix of disco, hard rock, and punk. Van Halen is in there, as well as the Ramones. However, I noticed that one moment in the movie was cut out. In it, the teen hero, Carl (such NOT a hero's name!) is pissed off and in his room when he puts on his headphones and cranks up Boston's "More Than a Feeling." It's a really brief moment in the movie, but I remember it well because it was the first time I heard that song. For some reason--I imagine because of song rights--that moment is gone from the movie. And you can call me an anal, nitpicking freakcase, but the movie just wasn't the same without it.

No comments: