Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Bewiched

I just saw Russell from "I'm From Rolling Stone" eating a sandwich with a lady friend at 'wichcraft. Thrilling, no? Perhaps not, but there was something so very meta about seeing a reality TV "star" inside a restaurant that was plugged on a reality show, and features a sandwich created by a contestant on said reality show. If I were braver and a tad more obnoxious, I would have taken a clandestine cameraphone pic. Alas, I am not, and did not.

But speaking of 'wichcraft, I finally decided to give it a try. It has certainly been much maligned since its opening, and every time I walk by, its cavernous space is virtually empty. Having ventured into the mall to pick up a book and, of course a cream puff, (I can't be within the same building as a Beard Papa, and NOT get one!) I realized I could probably use some dinner, and 'wichcraft was on the way to the bus stop, so why not. I got a chicken salad sandwich that's supposed to come on whole grain bread, but they were out of that, so I got it on some kind of "country bread." I opted for a cold sandwich, even though the hot sandwiches were more appealing, because I wasn't going to be eating it there, and was afraid a hot 'wich wouldn't travel well.

The total was over 10 bucks. Just for the sandwich, (well, and the tiny bag of chips that come with it) and while I balked at the price, I reserved judgement until eating. Once I got home, I was a little disappointed to see it wasn't the size of my head, or at least larger than the average sandwich. As for taste, it was...fine. There was way too much pepper on it (although I will admit I am a pepper wimp) but the pickled onions were tasty, the chicken wasn't dry, and the frisse soaked in vinaigrette was a nice alternative to lettuce. But it was not the most amazing sandwich I've ever had, and wasn't even terribly memorable. I'll probably give one of the hot sandwiches a try before writing the place off completely, but I really think they'd do a lot better if they either made the sandwiches just a little bigger, or cut a buck or two off the price.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No fair! I thought this was going to be an article about Homer.

-chrisf