Friday, April 13, 2007

Netflix, You're Begining to Piss Me Off!

Way back when Netflix first launched, I joined and cancelled about two months later. I hated that it was taking them days and days to actually ship my movies to me. After about a year, I decided to give them another chance, and for the most part I have had a two-day turn around with their movies (they get the ones I return the day after I send them; they ship to me that day; I get my movie the day after that). But I've had a few instances where they have decided to ship me a movie that's higher in my queue, but from a facility not in California. The last time, one was shipped from Las Vegas, and I got the movie three days after they reported it shipped. This week they decided to send me "Volver," but shipped it from Louisville, Kentucky.

Louisville, Kentucky? Do they even HAVE mail there?

It didn't ship until today, even though they got my return yesterday, and that means I won't be getting it until next week, when normally I try to watch my three-movies-a-week over the weekend, and return them all on Monday. They are throwing a wrench into my weekend plans, here! And to top it all off, it means the movie will come with a return envelope addressed to Kentucky, which means further turn-around time.

But homie don't play that. I'm just going to stuff two movies into one envelope, addressed to San Francisco, and they can deal with getting the movie back to Kentucky themselves. What really bugs me is there's no way to request in your account that you only have movies shipped from your closest vendor. A simple, "I'd rather have movies lower in my queue that are available locally than a movie higher in my queue from non-local facilities." In fact, there's precious little you can change about your account, aside from your mailing address and membership plan, and their "Help" section is totally lame. Don't make me switch to Blockbuster, people!

I'm not going to bother complaining directly to them, though, because I know they have a blacklist file on me already from years ago when I finally did just cancelled my account. I also think that's why they never even bothered to acknowledge receiving my resume when I tried to apply for a job with them about three years ago. ("'Rain Jokinen?' Oh she's that crazy lady that kept complaining about how long her movies were taking to get to her. Uh-uh. No way!"...Cut to a guy shoving my resume into a red return envelope addressed to Anchorage, Alaska.)

1 comment:

Damian said...

It's hard as hell to find on their site, but there is a Netflix phone number, and the operators are actually pretty decent. I googled it just now and got (800) 585-8131.

They won't be able to help with the surprise cross-country movie though -- but as far as returning it, I would advise hoarding at least one local envelope, and/or piggybacking your Kentucky movie in a Cali envelope (you can fit two discs in one).

Lastly, check out hackingnetflix.com