Friday, April 06, 2007

To Grind Or Not to Grind

Do I need to see "Grindhouse" or not? I know it's going to be both an entertaining and painful experience. For one, it's almost four hours long. I don't care how exciting the movies are, I don't know if I'll be able to stay awake that long. The fact that my fears of Tarantino's film being chock full of his always annoying pop culture reference-spewing characters talking talking talking appear to be valid means I'll most likely be taking my nap during the first half of his movie. So, perhaps, I should be thankful for him giving me the opportunity to sleep.

Also, seeing the thing in a clean, stadium-seating theater just doesn't feel right. Too bad the Strand or St. Francis Theaters on Market Street are closed down. There you could be guaranteed an underlying urine smell, as well as some trenchcoat-wearing patrons throughout the theater. (While junior high-age I took in a showing of "Quadrophenia" at the Strand with some friends, and someone came up to us in the middle of the movie and tried to sell us various personal hygiene goods, like deodorant and hairspray. NO idea what that was about.)

I've also come to the realization that I don't really like Robert Rodriguez that much. I like some of his films a tad more than Tarantino's (or, at least, I find them a tad less annoying) but I still feel they're both nothing but a couple of emotionally-stunted nerds with major woman issues. They both bug. And I find it a shame that Rodriguez's film seems to use so much CGI. Back in the old grindhouse days, if you wanted a chick in your movie to sport a machine gun leg, you'd have to hire an actress with one leg and stick a machine gun on the end of it. Now THAT would be awesome.

But who am I kidding? I may not be there on opening night tonight, but I doubt I'll be able to get through the month without seeing it.

1 comment:

Rain said...

Well, like I said, I'll probably just take a little nap during the first part of his movie...