Sunday, April 29, 2007

But You ARE In That Chair!

On Friday I dined once again at the Nob Hill Cafe, this time with the full intention of sitting near the twins and eavesdropping. Things worked out perfectly, and we were seated right behind them. I wasn't quite close enough to hear what they were talking about, but my friends were, and man, oh man. What you think in your wildest dreams that those two sisters would talk about after a few glasses of wine is, indeed, what they talk about. And fight about.

"I could have had a baby!"
"Oh sure, you WOULD want something like that, wouldn't you??"

"When you're gone, that's it for me. That's it."

"I just want to see this tiramiSUUUUUUU they keep talking about!!"

Truly awesome. I highly recommend it. Go on a Tuesday or Friday around 7, and request a table in the room away from the kitchen. It's the real San Francisco treat.

5 comments:

Chrissa said...

Oh my god, oh my god! Thank you for this precious scrap of eavesdropping, Rain. I will treasure it forever! I have always wondered what they really think about being shackled together like emotional Siamese twins, and what will happen when one of them dies.

They grew up in my dad's hometown in Michigan, and sometime in the '80s my family happened to come into possession of a few of their childhood scrapbooks - they were among some books my uncle bought at an estate sale. My mom eventually managed to return them via a PR liason, and they sent her a nice note expressing their thanks. They signed it: "Twincerely, Marian and Vivian Brown."

I love them!

Rain said...

Oh wow! Did you get to look at those scrapbooks?

I've always wondered what their apartment must look like. Do they have separate bedrooms? Or do they sleep in twin beds in the same room, like a 1950s TV couple?

Anonymous said...

that is too awesome. i recall that one time we went, we sat in the wrong room and only glimpsed the twins on the way in...now i know what seating arrangements need happen next time.

Chrissa said...

I did get to look at them. Before we figured out how to give them back I used to browse through them lovingly. Lots of matching birthday cards ;)

They must have twin beds. They must!

Greg said...

I used to live for a short time just 1/2 a block away from there so I saw the ladies all the time. They are super cool and part of what makes Our Fair City so fun to be in.