Saturday, October 01, 2016

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 1



Welcome back boils and ghouls, to another Halloween Countdown, Musty TV style! I'm happy to be participating for the ninth year in a row, and hope you enjoy the treats--and possible tricks--I have to offer. And even if you don't, there are plenty of other blogs partaking, so be sure to go knock on their doors too!

My pick today is the Svengoolie show, and his airing of Monolith Monsters, which is on MeTV in the San Francisco Bay Area. (Check their official site to find a channel in your area.)

Svengoolie is not my all-time favorite horror host (that would be Bob Wilkins, who I grew up watching), but he's the only one that's getting any air time in my neck of the woods these days. And while I think his jokes are, well, lame, I do appreciate the large amounts of trivia and horror movie history he includes during his broadcasts. He also tends to air Universal movies, so the films featured aren't the usual bad print, public domain movies a lot of horror movie hosts can get stuck with.

As for the flick, the monolithic monsters of the movie's title are meteor crystals that suck moisture from humans to grow, and then get really big when the rains come. And yeah, sure, giant rocks aren't exactly the most terrifying aliens to ever invade a small town, but you still wouldn't want to be caught underneath one of them, right?

Watch it at 10PM on MeTV, Comcast channel 196, or broadcast channel 20.2



No comments: