Friday, August 26, 2005

I Stink at My Job. Literally.

I always swore I'd never talk about work on this blog, because, first, it's a pretty boring topic, and second, it's pretty universally known that it's a bad idea. Books have been written about it. So, aside from the occasional, "Sorry there are no posts today, but I'm really busy," posts, it's not a topic for discussion. But the thing is, I've been working so much these past couple of weeks, I really don't have anything else TO talk about.

My day-to-day work has gotten more demanding, and I've also suddenly found out I have to manage the workflow of 10 temps (with even more coming next week, for a possible total of 20). Have I been promoted? Have I gotten a raise? Well, that would be a big fat "NO." But somehow, I've taken on the role of "manager," without any of the added benefits (namely, money).

And the thing is, I've never strived to be management. I've never wanted that. I like having a particular job and doing it. I don't want to be responsible for other people. It's frustrating. And after all, EVERYONE can't be a manager,

But you know what? I'm good at it. I was thrown into this project, which was started without me with no rhyme or reason, and I was able to get it organized. Wrote up an actual training document. Put together a spreadsheet that TRACKS who is doing what, and what progress they've made. Gave all the temps assignments, and planned ahead for the new temps coming next week.

It was a lot of work. And it TOOK ME ALL DAY.

And it's NOT MY JOB!

But the most troubling part of it all is I had to run around all day, up and down stairs, training the temps; giving them new assignments when they'd finished. And in the process, I got kind of sweaty. And I think, a little stinky. So I just felt horrible every time I had to go talk to one, worrying that my odor was just overwhelming them, and that they'd actually just pretend they were still busy, just to avoid having to call me and tell me they needed a new assignment.

So, if any of them have Googled my name and found this: I apologize. I know I was a little smelly, and I will do my best to stay cool and wear plenty of deodorant next week.

And if any of my bosses should read this: I want more money. Or else I'll make sure to get REALLY sweaty every day, and move my desk right next to yours.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rain said...

Oh my god. For some reason I am getting spammed like crazy. I'm going to have to turn on that annoying "word verification" thing. At least for a little while. Sorry.