Friday, June 30, 2006

Cousteau: Mind of an Idiot

Did anyone watch "Shark: Mind of a Demon" on Wednesday? I'll admit I TiVoed it. And it was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

Jacques Cousteau's grandson, Fabien, had the brilliant idea of creating a submarine that looks like a great white shark in order to better observe great whites in their natural habitat.

Now, I could be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that sight is not the keenest sense a great white has. I mean, they seem to mistake surfers for seals on an almost daily basis. But drop some chum in the water and they come running...er, I mean swimming.

You see what I'm getting at?

Did he really think he was going to fool a bunch of sharks by making a fake shark? To the great white shark it might was well be a metal cage--neither is a fellow shark.

The majority of the hour-long special was devoted to watching Fabien get into the shark sub and watching it sink to the bottom of the ocean. Clearly, the genius of Jacques Cousteau has skipped a generation.

No comments: