Wednesday, March 21, 2007

They Who Have Something

Let's discuss some "American Idol," shall we? Last night was British Invasion night, and who better to teach those kids a thing or two about 60s pop than the "singer" of one of the most asinine groups of all time? No, not Lulu, she's cool. I'm speaking, or course, about Peter Noone...And that's about all I want to speak of where he's concerned.

Now for some of the singing. I thought the judges were totally high when they dissed Lakisha's "Diamonds Are Forever." She rocked it. And she didn't look "old," Simon, she looked mature, which is to say, she wasn't wearing something gaudy, tacky, or too short for her own good. Sheesh!



I also thought Jordin did a good job with "I Who Have Nothing," a song I love, (and a song title that always looks like it's grammatically incorrect). They said it was popularized by Shirley Bassey and then covered by Tom Jones, but I think the best version of the song was sung by Ben E. King, (followed closely by Sylvester's disco version). As for complaining that the song was depressing, I hardly think that should matter, as long as she sang it well. And I think she did.



Sanjaya....oh Sanjaya....

And what of the Zombies portion of the evening? Chris Sligh disappointed me with his utterly boring rendition of "She's Not There." Blake's "Time of the Season" was a'ight, if a little whiny, and I guess it was a good choice for the addition of some beat boxing since, if you listen to the original, there's kind of some of that in the mix, (although it sounded to me like he didn't even put those parts in).

Finally, Melinda had to end the evening with a song I have always, for some unknown reason, absolutely loathed, "As Long As He Needs Me" from the musical "Oliver!" I hate the song so much, I had to fast-forward through most of her performance. It sounds like she sang it OK, but I'd still have to knock a few points from her for song choice alone.

1 comment:

Jess Hutch said...

I actually really loved Chris R.'s "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying." Is that wrong of me?

The best part of the night, though, was that scary braces-and-ponytails girl. AIEEEEEEEE! She was losing it!