Monday, June 06, 2005

Summer TV Makes Me Sad

And happy. Happy sad. Sappy?

Usually, come Saturday I've got a load of TiVo to catch up on, as well as a couple of Netflix movies breathing down my neck, and I spend the rest of the weekend trying to catch up. Most of the time, I make it. But this Saturday I found myself without any good TiVo, and I had already watched two of my three Netflix movies. I was at a loss. So I did something crazy. I turned the TV off (I KNOW!), turned the stereo on, and cracked open a book.

What's happened to me??

I found that just sitting there, reading and listening to music just wasn't enough activity (I wish there was some way to knit while reading...) so I decided to copy some of my old, treasured mix tapes from the 80s and 90s to CD. The only annoying part about that was the average mix tape is 90 minutes long, and I can't find a recordable CD that's longer than 80 minutes (why is that?) so I ended up having to record one tape side per CD. A lot of wasted CD space, but they aren't expensive, so I guess it's no big whoop.

I finished the book I was reading, as well as a play ("The Book of Liz" by Amy and David Sedaris) which compelled me to go to the library to return them and pick up some of the reserves that were waiting for me. So now I have a pile of library books and a limited number of days to finish them. Are books the new TiVo?

1 comment:

Rain said...

Yeah, that's just what everyone needs. The sound of MY droning voice in their ears as they powerwalk to work.