Monday, December 19, 2005

Martha Stewart, Why Do You Hate Me?

I just attempted to make the pictured recipe from the Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies special issue. They're Almond Macaroons, and I should have been suspicious from the beginning since the recipe doesn't contain any flour. It's almond paste, confectioners sugar, an egg white, and vanilla.

This was the result.

Granted, my mixer died on me in the middle of mixing, but I'm pretty sure I mixed it well enough, and even if I hadn't, I don't think improper mixing would result in this.

They don't taste bad, but they're an unpleasant texture--they kind of stick to your teeth and are both too chewy and too crunchy. They're just wrong.

This isn't the first time a Martha Stewart recipe has completely screwed me over, but still I continue to put my faith in her. And I baked some chocolate shortbread cookies yesterday that turned out OK, so it's not like ALL her recipes suck. It's just kind of hard to judge which ones will be disasters and which ones won't.

And I was planning to bake a batch of snickerdoodles, but now with my mixer busted, I don't think I can. There's no WAY I'm going to get all "Frontier House"on the process and try to cream the butter and sugar together with a whisk, I tell you what!

No comments: