Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My Ignorance Shows Through...AGAIN

Last year I attempted, once again, to read Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." I was enjoying it, and was impressed by the book's wit, but then for some reason, I just couldn't get through it. So I gave up and watched the Colin Firth miniseries instead, and I enjoyed it immensely. Which is part of the reason why I won't bother seeing the new version that came out last week.

But reading about some controversy over a kiss that ends the film has left me pondering how the book actually ends. With a handshake?

2 comments:

Jess Hutch said...

They don't kiss, or at least she doesn't metnion that they kiss. Kissing is NAUGHTY. I, for one, don't mind that they stuck one in the new movie, I felt that the lack of a big kiss-with-tongues made the end of the BBC version a little anti-climactic. But that's just me, the kiss is kind of the money shot in romantic movies, you know?

But no version will ever be as good as the BBC's, because Colin Firth is a stone fox.

Anonymous said...

I am disturbed by the dude in that article you linked to who admits to seeing the miniseries, reading the book and thinking of himself as Darcy. I mean. Seriously, dude. Grow a pair.

Beyond that, I think the fact that American audiences gush at the kiss but the Brits won't have it is really telling and kind of disturbing. The joy of Austen, when done properly, is that every single moment of it is filled with romance far more compelling than can be expressed in a kiss. So them tacking the kiss on the end sort of signals to me that they really did a crap job with the rest of the film. To be fair, I am also the person who doesn't feel the Firth in the pond scene in the BBC series is really that great - I much prefer the piano playing bit.

Though I'm willing to be wrong, I seem to recall the BBC miniseries also ending with a kiss at the wedding, though very much a chaste one.