Monday, January 14, 2008

No, He Won't Be Back

I watched the first two episodes of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," or "TTSCC" for stupid, and I enjoyed it. Which isn't to say I thought it was good. But I really, really liked the first two movies, so perhaps it's just my longstanding hope that some kind of sequel or off-shoot will come close to being as entertaining that is making me like it. (And no, "Terminator 3" didn't come close.)

I don't think the actress playing Sarah Connor this time around comes close to being as bad-assed as Linda Hamilton in "T2," which is a problem, but I am enjoying Summer Glau as the perky, good Terminator. Of course the physics of her being able to kick the shit out of a 500 pound, 6 foot 5 boy terminator doesn't make a lot of sense. But then again, if I try to figure out how any of the time travel stuff could actually work, my head starts to vibrate.

But the biggest issue I have with the show, and with the sequels, is that John Connor always comes across as being a whiny little weakling. Shouldn't he be bucking up and taking charge at this point in his life? Or is it the ultimate irony that he never turns out to be the revolutionary he's supposed to be, and is always being dragged reluctantly into battle, when he'd rather sit at home listening to emo records.

No comments: