Thursday, October 01, 2026

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown - Day 1: Slaughterhouse Rock (1987)

It's been a few years since I launched this countdown with a San Francisco-set horror movie, so I thought I'd go back to that tradition for 2026. Too bad the movie I chose was Slaughterhouse Rock which just barely counts as a San Francisco movie (or, really, a movie at all).

About half of the movie is set on Alcatraz, though aside from a few establishing shots that include the San Francisco skyline and the Golden Gate Bridge, it is very clearly not actually Alcatraz. There's also not a lot of "rock" - in either sense of the term - happening in this slaughterhouse despite the story's initial set-up being the death of a heavy metal band as they were visiting Alcatraz.

Plot wise, it begins with a local college student having bad dreams related to that event, so he and seemingly everyone he knows decide the only way to stop the dreams is for all of them to venture to Alcatraz after dark together to break a curse. Or something.

It's there that they run into the only thing that makes this movie even slightly worth watching, and that's Toni Basil as a ghost who's stuck on the island, but knows how to set the other souls stuck there free. And yes, it involves a dance, a clip of which I will include below. She also has several great costume changes that are peak 80's does 1940's and 1950's retro that I'm pretty sure came out of her own closet. And she is also featured, along with Devo, on the soundtrack.

Other than that this movie manages to be a total snooze. Like, I literally fell asleep twice while watching it. You need only watch the film's opening scene, which goes on forever, to know that this is a movie that will streeetttch wherever it can to make its 90-minute running time.

Slaughterhouse Rock is streaming on several platforms. I watched it on Prime, to avoid commercials.

No comments: