Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Glossy Imperfection

The much-hyped Desperate Housewives premiered this Sunday, and I was....underwhelemd. I liked it, but I didn't love it. The hype may have played a part in my high expectations, but I think my dissapointment really came from my expecting it to be different. Instead, it was very familiar. I've seen this satire of suburban life in Blue Velvet (where it was done excellently) and American Beauty (where it was done horribly) so I was hoping the show would bring a bit more to the table. Instead we've got the requisite Stepford Wife, the Husband With a Secret, the Neighborhood Nympho, and the Voice From Beyond the Grave. Which is all fine and good. Entertaining, in fact. But it's forced feeling of camp takes it out of that "guilty pleasure" zone (in my mind, that moniker is reserved for entertainment that wishes so very badly to be taken seriously, but simply cannot be) and into the realm of "Hey!! Over here! Look how wacky we are!!"

Which isn't to say I won't tune in next week. And if you've missed it and are curious, it will be repeated this Saturday at 10:00pm on ABC.

Interestingly, the actress orginally cast to play the Dead Housewife was none other than Laura Palmer herself, Sheryl Lee. Her part was eventually recast, and this article explains why.

1 comment:

rachael said...

i just saw this last night and im hooked, i think. i dont LOVE it LOVE it, but i got into it enough that i want to know more. all the titular DH's look more or less the same, with different colored hair--and theres a spicy latina barbie!