Sunday, October 14, 2007

Stinks. With a Capital "SUCK."

I had to work today (I work from home on Sundays so I can take a class on Mondays) and at the end of my eight hours I discovered I had worked on the wrong thing the ENTIRE day. I won't go into the specifics of my job, but it sometimes involves these tests, and to access the test we have to search through a long string of test ID numbers to find the current test we need to work on. It's a drop down menu so you can't just do a search for the number, and the problem is, there are hundreds of these tests, and many of them have very, very similar ID numbers. Like today's. Where it turned out I needed to work on test 745993 and not 735993. It didn't help that the sub-names for the tests were basically the same thing.

FUN!

I don't know what we're going to do about that, but there wasn't much I could do, like spending extra hours tonight working on the right thing, because I had to finish a paper for my class that is due tomorrow. Which I did. After years and years and YEARS of college, my approach to writing papers seems to remain the same: I don't allow myself to leave the house, and instead procrastinate indoors the entire day, until I finally sit down and write for about an hour or two at 1am. Then I go to bed and do the same thing the next day. But, I got it done, and even though it's kind of sucky, I at least got to talk a little about my current favorite TV show in the whole wide world, "Mad Men." (The paper basically compares it to the family melodrama genre of the 1950s.) And speaking of "Mad Men," the season finale is on this Thursday and will be aired commercial-free. I really could go on and on about the show, but I will just reiterate that it is amazing, and it is the only show in recent memory that consistently avoids obvious and cliched turns of plot. I can not tell you how nice it is to see a show that has no "fantastic" elements, but still manages to completely surprise me week after week. I'm sad to see it go, but thrilled that it's been renewed.

And now, from the sublime to the ridiculous, as I need to watch "The Bachelor" for my SFist locals post tomorrow.

No comments: