Sunday, November 30, 2008

October Round-Up

It's kind of hard to remember October when Christmas is breathing down my neck, but I will give it a shot...

Movies Seen: Twelve, with none in a theater. (Although I did watch four Marilyn Monroe movies in a class that was held in a theater. But I'd seen all the movies before, and the teacher's inability to un-squash the DVD image on the big ass movie screen made the entire "movie going experience" almost unbearable. So I'm not counting those.) I think my fave was probably "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains," which is hadn't seen since I was a kid. I had no idea Ray Winstone played the hottie punk rocker in the movie. In fact, I had no idea Ray Winstone was once a hottie! If you've never seen it, I highly recommend a rental.

I saw a lot of bad movies in October, so the least favorite prize is a tie between "Chapter 27," the movie starring Jared Leto's horrible southern accent as Mark David Chapman, John Lennon's assassin; "The Happening," in which Mark Wahlberg spends most of the movie trying to think; and "Last House on the Left," which despite my being a die-hard horror fan as a youth, I had never actually seen. Now I now why. It is a exceedingly unpleasant movie watching experience. I understand its historical importance when it comes to the horror movie genre, but that doesn't mean it's any fun.

Books Read: Once again, I only finished one, while starting and abandoning about three...Well, technically that's not true, as I read several volumes of the comic book "Y: The Last Man," which didn't leave a lot of time for real books. So that one "real" book was "Snow Angels," which I got from the library on a whim after watching the movie version. It was about as good as the movie, which is to say pretty good, but not great.

Fancy Dinners Out: None. I think my fears about money and the economy started to curb my frivolous spending in October, as there also weren't any...

Live Shows Seen: Nor...

Shoes Bought: Alas.

No comments: