Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tom Turkey Ran Away, But He Just Came Home!

There aren't very many Thanksgiving songs out there, so I'm going to go ahead and name "Turkey Lurkey Time" the one and only official Thanksgiving song. Even though it's actually about Christmas.

It's from the 1968 musical "Promises, Promises," which was written by Neil Simon, with music and lyrics by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, and is actually based on the movie "The Apartment." I think it's due for a revival. There are other memorable songs in it (including "I'll Never Fall In Love Again") but "Turkey Lurkey Time" is easily my fave, both because it's pretty dumb, and because the musical number in the play has some INSANE choreography. (I'm glad to know I'm not the only person obsessed with the song, as Brock over at SFist has linked to it more than once. This guy also has a funny take on the number.)

So, in honor of Thanksgiving and mini dresses, I present you with three versions of the song...

First up is a performance from the 1968 Tonys. Video quality is for crap, but you can still experience the insanity and potential whiplash inducing movements of the choreography.



Next is a TV performance, but I have no idea where from. Seems to be about the same time as the above, though.



And last is from "Camp," which was a good little indie movie about a performing arts summer camp. (That's why the number kind of blends into other stage performances at the end of the song).



Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! And if you want to burn off some of those unwanted calories, I suggest you learn the Turkey Lurkey dance. You'll be slim by Christmas.

No comments: