Sunday, October 01, 2017

Musty TV's Maniacal Halloween Countdown - Day 1

That weird, tingly feeling...in your pants.
Speaking of TCM.....

I figured I might as well start with a classic, and my usual fallback of TCM, but in looking at their schedule, I noticed something peculiar. Why would they classify the original Lugosi Dracula and the sub-par Son of Dracula as Horror, but deem the excellent Dracula's Daughter a Drama?


Some may see this as nitpicking, but here's the thing. If you want to see all the horror movies TCM is airing in a given week, and you sort their listings by that genre tag, you'd miss Dracula's Daughter.

Also, what's up with these classifications?


Basically what I'm saying is Turner Classic Movies needs to hire me to fix their genre tags. Call me!

But back to Dracula's Daughter, which, despite having "Dracula" in the title, does not feature an appearance by Bela Lugosi, who actually only ever played the Dracula character twice on screen: in the original, and in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. The daughter, ("Marya Zaleska"), is played by Gloria Holden, and I guess the Count brought her up in mid-Atlantic America, because she doesn't have her father's accent. She does however, have a magic hypnotizing ring. I mean, just look at the size of it. I'd be mesmerized!

"Do you like it? Only $15 bucks on Etsy!"
Also, look for an appearance by gossip queen Hedda Hopper as a party host trying to push some sherry on Ms. Zaleska. You can catch the riveting "drama" at 6:30pm, PST, tonight on TCM.


No comments: