Sunday, October 13, 2019

Musty TV's Maniacal Halloween Countdown - Day 13

When hitchhikers won't take no for an answer.

The next three Sundays will be devoted to three movies I just have to watch every October. The first is Carnival of Souls.

Carnival of Souls hits so many of my sweet spots. One is its early 1960's time period, which includes the best clothes, cars, and hair. Another is the whole haunted carnival thing, because aren't carnivals in and of themselves always a bit creepy? (I've been to the Saltair Pavilion in Salt Lake City, where the carnival scenes were shot, though by the time I was there the structure seen in the film had already burnt down and been rebuilt.)

I also love that much of it is practically silent, and in fact one key scene is even centered on the world going silent around the heroine. Sometimes I just have it playing in the background during Halloween, just for the mood. And that's easy to do since it's available to view via YouTube....

No comments: