Thursday, September 23, 2004

A Plane Crashes on an Island Full of Models...and TWO Bachelors!

Thanks to the miracle of TiVo, I was able to watch four--FOUR!--season premieres last night, all before the strike of midnight. I love TiVo. (When will Gavin Newsom start the fight to legalize marriage between an individual and his or her TiVo? 'Cause I'd totally do it!)

Here's what I thought about the shows:

Lost. LOVED it! I thought it was awesome, and one of the best TV pilots I've ever seen. You've got the whole deserted island thing, action galore in the form of flashbacks to the plane crash that got them there, as well as a huge cast of characters, some of whom are already acting kind of strange. And--AND--there's a giant monster on the island killing people! Sure, the monster sounds a little too much like a cast-off from Jurassic Park, but so what. It's a MONSTER! There aren't enough monsters on primetime TV these days. (Aside from the one living on top of Donald Trump's head.) I'm excited about what's to come. Aliens? Or maybe they'll walk to the other side of the island only to discover--Damn you!

America's Next Top Model 3. The premiere was a little anti-climactic since they announced this season's cast of wannabee models weeks ago. But aside from that, there was a crazy bar fight, a legally blind contestant, a plus-sized model, and Tyra made the mean girl cry! I think the show's still got it, so I'll just have to catch it during its reruns on Friday nights.

The Bachelor. OK. I think I'm officially through with this show. I don't care that the bachelorettes this time around are older. (Meaning they're in their thirties. Gee. Can women in their thirties even get around without canes and walkers? How are they going to be able to date?) Or that they got to choose this season's bachelor (they were both boring and ugly.) I'm so incredibly over it all. I don't care. Take it off my TV screen. NOW!

CSI: NY. I'll admit to a genuine fondness for CSI. I think it's great TV. However, I have no tolerance for CSI: Miami, mainly because I think David Caruso is the most annoying actor on TV. He cannot deliver a single line without it coming across as smug. All I want to do is smack him every time he's on screen. So, that show's out. I'll admit that my tuning into "NY" had a lot to do with my fondness for Gary Sinise, a great actor who, for some reason, I find very attractive. Except last night I noticed something very disturbing about him: He has a very small head. I'm hoping this won't distract from future enjoyment of the show, but I'm a little worried. As for his approach to the now familiar role, he seems to be taking the tortured route. So: David Caruso is smug. And William Petersen is jovial. I think one should choose their "CSI" show based on how they like their grisly crimes served up: smug, tortured, or goofy.

Or with a tiny head.

Speaking of tiny heads....Sorry, I've got no segue here, but tonight's the season premiere of ER. Does anyone watch that anymore? That's another one I may have to give up. Once they started dropping helicopters on people's (tiny?) heads, I kind of lost interest.

Maybe they should set a monster loose in the hospital!

No comments: