Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Michael Mann Is An Idjit

Some might say that Mann is an idiot for deciding to make a big screen version of "Miami Vice" at all, but I say he's an idiot for not including the original theme song. Not the original, and not a cover. Nada. Being that hearing the original "Superman" theme during the credits of "Superman Returns" was probably the most exciting moment of that entire film for me, I think this is a bad idea. Of course, I might think otherwise if I thought the film looked any good, but I don't.

And when I say I think the film looks bad, I mean that literally. It LOOKS bad. Like his last film, "Collateral," Mann has shot this on HD video, and it looks like ass. It's dark and flat and full of everything that is bad about video. I watched the re-airing of the original "Miami Vice" pilot on NBC Saturday, and it was padded with lots of stuff from the new movie, and I was appalled at how bad it looked. Of course, every time I mention how bad I think movies shot on video look, most people look at me like I'm nuts because they can't tell a difference. And I all I can do is come back with an exasperated GOB inspired, "COME ON!"

1 comment:

Rain said...

I'm not gonna knock digital for those that can't afford film. But like you said, why did Mann shoot this high-profile movie on video, and crappy video to boot?

I have pondered why Lucas's digital looks so much better than other big-budget digital features. But in his case it almost falls into the realm of it looking TOO good. It's all so clear and pristine that it comes off as sterile and cold.

Or am I just letting the story and dialogue cloud my judgement there?