Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Look Out Look Out Look Out!

My dad clued me in to the news that Mary Weiss of the Shangri-Las, the best girl group EVER, has a new record out (it's available on iTunes now). I listened to some tracks and it's not bad. Her voice is a little rough, but you can still tell it's her, and some of the songs sound a little like something the Ramones would do. She's going to be on the Conan O'Brien show tonight performing live. (Unfortunately the live video clips on her site don't sound quite as good as the album tracks. Hope she sounds better tonight.)

In the meantime, here's a clip of the Shangri-Las singing one of my faves.

4 comments:

Jess Hutch said...

I love this video - so dark and moody and spookyr. They're the BEST.

Jess Hutch said...

I meant spooky. Not spookyr. Although that would make a pretty good goth name. "I am... Spookyr."

Hugh said...

The tracklist for "Attack of the 50-Foot 6-Year Old" a cd I burned for my niece, whose birthday it is tomorrow:

Chico's Girl - The Girls
Leader of the Pack - Shangri-Las
He's A Rebel - The Crystals
Big Girls Don't Cry - Edith Massey
Roadrunner USA - Joan Jett
Pinball Party - 5.6.7.8's
Da Doo Ron Ron - The Donnas
Our Lips Are Sealed - Go-Go's
Hazy Shade of Winter - Bangles
Remember (Walking In The Sand) - Shangri-Las
Be My Baby (Live) - Ronnettes
What A Man - Linda Lyndell
Big Stuff - Jean Knight
I'm Blue (The Gong-Gong Song) - The Ikettes
Woman To Woman - Shirley Brown
Hopelessly Devoted To You - Olivia Newton-John
Don't Drop Out - Dolly Parton
My Boyfriend's Back - The Angels
Baby, Baby (I Still Love You) - Cinderella
I'm Into Something Good - Earl-Jean
I Have A Boyfriend - The Chiffons
I Adore Him - The Angels

I know some of the 80's stuff is a little cheesy, but she's SIX - gotta make it accessible.
Anyway, I dig it; thought you would, too.

Rain said...

Love it!