Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One...Two...Three?

As you've probably heard by now, Ingmar Bergman died yesterday, (here's Roger Ebert's tribute). Now I wake up to find Michelangelo Antonioni has died, too. That's kind of weird, isn't it?

I was never a huge Bergman fan, but I appreciated him. Antonioni, however, I loved. I cannot argue with anyone who says his movies are boring--I'll even admit to taking a nap during "Red Desert," (it was a lot easier to stay focused through the rest of it after that ten minute nap, believe me). But his movies always seemed to hypnotize me and leave an impression. I still can't walk through a park and hear the wind blowing through the trees and not immediately think of "Blow-Up." Here's an awesome tribute that includes links to YouTube clips from some of his best cinematic scenes.

As you know, these things happen in threes. How's Jean-Luc Goddard been feeling these days?

No comments: