Saturday, October 20, 2018

Musty TV's Maniacal Halloween Countdown - Day 20

"A Netflix remake that's being called 'This Is Us' with ghosts? NO!!!!!! HOLD ME!"

1963's The Haunting is one of those rare movies that is as good as, and maybe even in some ways better, than its source material, in this case, Shirley Jackson's 1959 novel The Haunting of Hill House. I basically recommend a viewing every Halloween. Consider this entry that.

Netflix recently launched a TV series based on the book (loosely based, I should add). It's also called The Haunting of Hill House, and all episodes are available to stream now.

I've only watched one episode, and I'm intrigued enough to continue. But I will say I didn't find anything in the first episode as scary as anything in the 1963 movie. There's an annoying tendency to loudly ANNOUNCE scares with loud music or sounds. Still, it sets up an interesting premise: Every family has ghosts. They just aren't always the kind that walk through walls...

OR ARE THEY?


No comments: