Thursday, August 31, 2006

Tori Update

Things between her and her mother remain frosty.

Oh, I kid! Not THAT Tori. MY Tori, of course.

Well, the news is not that great. She has kidney disease, as happens to many older cats. Not much can be done aside from making sure she gets plenty of fluids, and maintains a low-protein diet. Since I can't force drinks down her throat, I have to give her subcutaneous fluids--and honey, that ain't no picnic! Take a look.

I did it at the vet's and it went OK, but I think that had a lot to do with the fact that she was frozen with terror. We'll see how she responds tomorrow with her next dose.

I think the only bright side for her is she will now be eating only canned food, which she loves. Of course, it's prescription, so hopefully she'll love it as much as Fancy Feast.

Man. Pets. There's just no getting around the fact that one day they will totally break your heart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh poor tori!

Jess Hutch said...

Let us know how it went with the second dose - that looks really hard! I'm sorry Rain, this must be difficult - but you're taking such good care of her.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rain, I'm so sorry...I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same thing with Malcolm, who was also 16 years old. My big consolation were the people at the Nob Hill Cat clinic, who were so caring and comforting, of course this was back in the 90s, and I'm sure there is a whole new crew now. But I don't know what I would've done without them. Sending many warm, loving feelings Tori's way.
S

Rain said...

The crew at the Nob Hill Cat Clinic are probably a new bunch, but so far they have also been really nice. It's been really great having such good care so close by!

So your cat had the same thing? We must talk about it, and commiserate!