Friday, October 20, 2006

State of TV: Fridays

TGIF!

Especially because it means less TV I have to watch! Not that I don't love me some TV. But even I need a break sometimes.

The first Friday must see is "Meerkat Manor," although I'm still torn up about the disappearance of Courageous Little Shakespeare, and that Flower is one tough matriarch, isn't she? I guess this season's sad sack is Mozart, who was banished from the manor because she got pregnant by a meerkat from a rival tribe--big no no!--and Flower wasn't about to deal with any other pups when she was expecting her own (that girl can reproduce, yo). Alas, Mozart's pups died, and last we saw her she was hoping to be accepted back into the Whiskers tribe. Man. This show can be damned heartbreaking!

Now comes my shameful confession. I watch "Men In Trees." I'm not saying I like it. I'm only saying I watch it. Really, it's pretty awful, so obviously ripping off from both "Northern Exposure" and "Sex and the City," (although since one of the show's creators was also a writer on "SATC," that's to be expected). It really does not fill the void left by the loss of "Sex and the City," though, so I remain perplexed over just why I keep watching. I suppose it's because Friday is a slim night for TV. And it's a completely fluffy, unthinky show, which is just what I need at the end of the week.

Unlike "Battlestar Galactica," which remains extremely thinky and challenging. In that way it's almost the polar opposite of "Men In Trees." But I'm not complaining about the show's complexity; it still blows me away week after week. I will admit, however, that I am getting anxious about the whole New Caprica setting. I want to see the show get back into space--it is called "Battlestar Galactica" after all. And I want to see Starbuck cut her hair and kick some ass again. I also want them to get on with the revelation of the other Cylon models, or at least one or two. The longer they wait, the more disappointed I will inevitably be with those reveals.

Also, when Boomer finds out her baby is still alive? That is going to be...intense.

No comments: