Sunday, September 10, 2006

The First Cut Is the Deepest...Except When It's Not

So, I've made my first deletions from my TiVo for this Fall TV season. Unsurprisingly, both were on Fox.

The first was "Justice." Despite the presence of Victor Garber, AKA Sydney's dad, it just didn't rise above your standard legal procedural drama, and I just don't have any room in my life for another damned procedural drama, (which means "Shark" is going to have to be AWESOME to keep me watching, because James Woods isn't nearly enough). The only bit of the show that was halfway unique was the "what really happened" bit at the end of each episode. But really, ultimately, all you need bother watching is the verdict in that week's case and then the big reveal, and save yourself about 55 minutes.

The other show is "Standoff" which I decided to give up on after only one episode. Again, the mere presence of an actor who I normally like--in this case Ron Livingston--just wasn't enough. The show's premise, that two crisis negotiators are also sleeping with each other, seems slight, and it wasn't helped by the fact that Livingston and his female costar, Rosemarie DeWitt , have no chemistry. Now, if they had paired him up with Gina Torres, who instead plays his boss, THEN you'd have an interesting show. But, alas, all I can say to Mr. Livingston is, "I'm sorry, I can't. Don't hate me."

No comments: