Monday, October 11, 2021

Musty TV's Maniacal Movie Countdown- Day 11: Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988)

Yep, prior to this month, I had never seen the Elvira movie. And here's why: Elvira was never my favorite horror movie host (that would be Bob Wilkins), and I'm not even sure her show was syndicated in the Bay Area when I was a teenager. If it was, I never watched it. Of course, she was kind of culturally pervasive, so I knew of her and her shtick, and I appreciated it. I was just never a mega-fan, and never felt the need to watch her movie.

And yet, I still felt compelled to read her memoir when it was released earlier this month, and it wonderfully illustrates that Cassandra Peterson is much, much more than Elvira, and if you ever doubted it, I suggest you read the book too. It's filled with enough crazy stories to fill up ten memoirs. 

But back to Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. It's quintessentially Elvira, filled with corny puns and plenty of boob jokes. It's also got a casserole creature, a punk rock poodle, and Edie McClugh, and that's enough to recommend it right there.

Now tell me, is it worth watching the sequel, Elvira's Haunted Hills?

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark is available to stream on several platforms including Amazon Prime and Shudder.

1 comment:

Caffeinated Joe said...

I loved her as the Halloween icon in the 80s and 90s, but her movie hosting show never aired near me, either. In fact, I never saw any movie hosts. Most we had was Creature Double Feature on Saturday afternoons, but that never had a host.

Her movie is a ton of 80s fun, though. Never saw the sequel, but I want to, just because.